2000-register

blown head gasket. :-(

To: 2000-register@autox.team.net
Subject: blown head gasket. :-(
From: Mike Sharp <Mike_Sharp@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 07:29:24 -0800
Hi guys,

OK, you wanted traffic...  This is actually a problem with
my early MK1 GT6 engine.   Since in this area the engine
design is identical to the 2000 MK1 I thought I'd ask here
first.

I've had a head gasket failure between #3 and #4.
This was on a recently rebuilt engine (~1800 miles).
The block was decked and the head was planed.  I never
went back and checked the compression ratio, but the
planing/blocking were just for cleanup, so it shouldn't
have been too much of a change.  I'm running a stage 1
Elgin cam which you can think of as "fast road" -- nothing
too crazy..  The head was torqued to 44ft-lb.  Thats middle
of the range in the shop manual.  I installed new head studs
via the torque them to specs 3 times method that ARP suggests.

Admittedly I was having too much fun when the head gasket blew.  :-)

So...
Has anyone else had this kind of problem?  I din't remember hearing
about this being a week point, but maybe I wasn't paying attention.

Should I just install a new head gasket per factory specs and not have
so much fun :-(, should I ignore the factory torques and use something
else instead (?what?), does someone like ARP make *HIGH* quality
studs that would let me get better clamping force....   etc. etc.

My understanding is that the ultimate fix, if this continues to be a
problem, is to machine the top of the block to accept a later style
head gasket.  The limited experience (a few race engines) seems to
indicate that this actually is better than O-ringing the block and
using the early style head gasket.  This, of course is the last resort
due to the labor/cost.

Oh, the ultimate, ultimate fix might be to just build up the spare
2.5L block I've got to "all out fun" specs.  :-) Of course then I'd
probably just blow differentials...

    --Mike

///
///  2000-register@autox.team.net mailing list