2000-register

Re: Rotor arm hell

To: "2000 List" <2000-register@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rotor arm hell
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 00:25:18 +0100
Hi Chris
Yes it is possible to mismatch the rotor and cap!
I just got a replacement rotor arm and when I was going to fit it I noticed
it was considerably shorter than the previous one, this was possibly my
fault as I quoted the numbers from an old invoice at my local Lucas outlet
and they supplied what I asked for, you may think they should have pointed
out any incompatibility, but I am well known locally as THE Truimph bloke,
as I have quite a fleet and often buy bits for multiple cars! I have yet to
correct this situation, I just kept the old cap and rotor arm. You should be
able to get the correct rotor arm, you may need to get them to do a number
change check, a lot of parts guys remember these numbers from deep within.

Gap should be as small as possible (measured in thousandths not sixteenths)
as you really want the power of the spark to go to jumping the plug gap not
the rotor to cap gap.

Something else to look out for is the way the rotor arm is constructed, my
version of rotor arm hell is walking about 5 miles home from the middle of
no where at two in the morning after I had a new (that day) rotor arm fall
in two, this was the type with a brass rivet to hold the contact piece to
the bakelite and it split right through the rivet point.

If you had said you had a small gap and lots of broken rotors I would have
suggested that your distributor had too much play in the spindle, this is a
common eater of rotor arms but obviously not your current problem.

Graham
2.5PI MKII
2000MKI
Dolomite Sprint