Re: Ignitor Pro's & Con's

To: "Mike Brinker" <mike.brinker@mfasco.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ignitor Pro's & Con's
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 15:16:30 -0500
> Has anyone used a product called the Ignitor?  This system
> would replace points for the distributor?  I have heard that
> this product increases performance and reliability?
>
> Mike Brinker

I installed one in my TR6.

There was an initial problem with my unit, two of the magnets inside the
rotating housing were not of the correct polarity; and thus the sensor
failed to recognize them when they swung past.  However, Pertronix (makers
of the ignitor) remedied this without requesting any paperwork... and mailed
me a new housing with six working magnets.

So far it has worked flawlessly.

There is one advantage to using the Ignitor, if you're distributor shaft has
some play in it, the little rotating housing that you install will take up
this play.  This is a good thing.

Professional opinions on the unit are range from full blown comments like
"you should install them on every car" to "hrm, I don't know" (lots of
skepticism).  Brian @ Power British notes that they seem to fail right
around the end of the warranty period...

I noticed no change in performance or fuel economy, and I may even return to
points... because if I make a 500 mile trip and it fails to work I'd rather
keep $15 in spares in the trunk, rather than a spare $99 ignition system.

chocks away,

Kai