re: DOT 5 & Brake Question

To: 6 Pack Digest <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: DOT 5 & Brake Question
From: jdhenn <jdhenn@prodigy.net>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 21:06:01 -0400
I had to add my two cents regarding the silicon dot5 fluid. I am the one
who just had the old frozen piston in the caliper routine. It froze in
the braking position and overheated the caliper and rotor.  Luckily I
only lost my brake pedal completely on the last 1/2 mile of an 80 mile
trip so I could limp home with the hand brake.  Since I had some work
todo I decided to switch to DOT5 fluid.  I rebuilt both calipers with
TRF stainless pistons, caliper rebuild kit, new brake pads/shoes,
rebuilt rear wheel cylinders and master brake cylinder.  TRF brake stuff
is all on sale right now, it's a deal! I rebuilt the cylinders since I
was switching to DOT5 silicon fluid. The president of the Central
Florida Triumph Registry recommended changing out all rubber components
if you switch from DOT3 or DOT4 to the DOT5. If you didn't change them
at least clean them all out and blow the hydraulic lines clean with
compressed air to get all of the old fluid out of the system.  Like me
and my ex-wife the two don't like sleeping together.

Question on the rear wheel brake cylinder.  Is there supposed to be a
spring inside the cylinder between the piston and the cylinder?  The
parts catalogs all show somehting that looks like a spring.  Both of
mine only had the piston in them.
Thanks!
--
Jim Henningsen