Re: Help...More Clutch opinions/advise needed

To: cnlduckwor@ninenet.com (Charles and Linda Duckworth)
Subject: Re: Help...More Clutch opinions/advise needed
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 23:55:21 -0700 (PDT)
Charles---Sorry to hear about the on-going problems with the clutch
mechanics. From the messages you sent on the rebuild, it sounded as if
everything was done first class.  The only thing I can think of to check
at the moment, since you are able to get everything to work as it
should, even if temporarily, would be this:
AS you may know by now, the fluid passed on to the slave cyl. will push
the rod at its end a given distance, usually 1/2" to 5/8". What returns
the fluid to their respective cylinders is the return action of the
clutch pressure plate finger springs. When these "springs" return, it
(should) ultimately put the 3-holed lever to nearly vertical. Every
time!  That is, the 3 holes will be perpendicular to the clutch slave
push rod. If this arm only returns to say, "5 minutes to five" the next
time you depress the clutch pedal, the slave piston and seal will extend
out too far, and could even pop out of it's bore. Does this sound like a
possibility? The next time it does this, look at the angle of this
3-holed shaft arm. If it's not in the position described above, there's
something internal in or on the clutch shaft keeping this arm from
returning. (Like a fractured fork pin?)  I know you don't want to
believe it could be something that you just replaced, but....

I don't think the slave itself is the reason for your woes. When these
go sour, they nearly always leak.  When you push the piston back in to
the slave bore, do you momentarily open the bleed screw? (You should
have to.)

Check it out. Let us know.

Dick T.