Re: Long day - clutch update and help needed still

To: cnlduckwor@ninenet.com (Charles and Linda Duckworth)
Subject: Re: Long day - clutch update and help needed still
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 23:55:04 -0700 (PDT)
Charles---The fork pin wasn't broken, eh? Well, part of me wasn't too
surprised. My replies tend to be rather windy, so if you missed the part
about checking the vertical angle of the three-holed lever, well...I'll
repeat it without all the other hang-ons.   When the clutch return
mechanism is in tact, this "arm" will be nearly vertical. The top hole
at 12 o'clock, and the bottom hole at 6 o'clock. (The middle hole takes
the clevis pin.) When something breaks, like the fork pin, this arm will
not return to vertical.  The slave cylinder piston would then have to
come farther out of its bore, because it didn't get pushed back far
enough from a previous clutch engagement.

So far as the slave push rod not being long enough, yes, this would
cause the same problem of the piston coming out too far. (The confusing
part of this is you claim that sometimes the clutch worked as it should
have.) If there's a bastard part in there, the results should be the
same, all the time! You'll know when you get the new pushrod, to see if
it looks like the one that (?) broke.

Hobby, huh?

Dick T.
'73