RE: J type overdrive problems

To: 6 Pack List <6pack@autox.team.net>, TR6 List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: J type overdrive problems
From: Bernard Robbins <brobbins@wlg.nec.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 11:21:58 +1200
Hi Jim,

Most of the problems with the J type are caused by bad wiring. I recommend
checking the earthing. You should get a definate click when you apply + 12
Volts.

Try applying the power directly to the solenoid and this will eliminate the
inhibitor switch (which only let it work in 3rd and 4th). If the solenoid
clicks, you know the switch is the problem. If it doesn't, you know the
switch is probably ok.
I also recommend you check the earth wire from the solenoid to the gearbox
casing is ok. While you are at it, take your time to clean the spade
terminals on the switches and solenoid. Replace any dodgy wiring (makes
life much easier in the future).

On doing up my car, I replaced all the over drive wiring and connectors as
the old wiring had been damaged by heat oil (yes, my car does leak a little
oil, but only to mark it's territory!). This has pretty much solved all my
overdrive problems, so now I only have 99% of the car left to sort out....

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers
Bernard

73 TR6 PI
71 2500 PI

At 18:02 18/05/00 -0400, Jim Davis wrote:

>Jim Davis wrote:
>
> List,
>     Finally got my engine and transmission installed on CF38690UO. The
> engine fired right up, which always amazes me considering my lack of
> mechanical skills. I ran the engine for 20 minutes at 2000 rpm, then
> timed it at idle the best I could. I installed the Isky Z-19 cam and
> I'm not sure exactly where it should be until I can road test it.
>    Question, should I change the straight 30w oil now, or wait until
> I have 500 mi. on the engine? If I change the oil now, replace it with
> my normal Castrol 20w50?
>     Another question. I was checking out the wiring for the o/d and
> reverse lamps and while I got about 10v to the solenoid with the
> trans. in 3rd or 4th, it didn't click. Seems like when I've done this
> before, I could hear the solenoid energize. Does this mean my solenoid
> is shot, or do I need to quit worrying and wait to see if it works
> while the car is in operation?
> TIA,
> Jim Davis
> Fortson, GA