Re: Now Now...Rear Facia

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Now Now...Rear Facia
From: rcotting@mgnet.ca
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 11:28:14 -0300

---------------------- Forwarded by Richard Cottingham/MGNotes on
05/31/2000 07:46 PM ---------------------------

Richard E. Cottingham
05/31/2000 11:26 AM

Sent by:  Richard Cottingham

To:   oconnor@fuse.net
cc:
Subject:  Re: Now Now...Rear Facia  (Document link not converted)

The Kamm style rear end supposedly adds an aerodynamic advantage to the
cars.  Blackening seems to draw attention to this facet of the car - no
doubt it was an attempt to suggest that the whole design of the rear end is
meant to contend with the excessive speeds that the car is capable of.  My
car was repainted by the PO and the rear end was never restored to black.
I rather liked the body colour back there but eventually opted to return to
black.  I'm glad I did 'cause nothing says "'70s" like these little
touches.  Remember all the blackened stuff on muscle cars?  The TR6 was
definitely marketed as muscular and was perceived by the press and
public-at-large as such (broad-shouldered, hairy-chested, etc., etc.)

With all due respect to the earlier cars, the most distinctive design
element, to me, is the Union Jack emblem.  When I was young, something
about that damn flag said you were dealing with a serious machine.  BTW,
back in those days I never realized that "TR6" is incorporated in the
centre of the emblem.

Rich C.