Re: TR6 rear wheel studs

To: jh_davis@mindspring.com (Jim Davis)
Subject: Re: TR6 rear wheel studs
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 13:21:10 -0700 (PDT)
Jim---I replaced a wheel stud many years ago without removing the wheel
hub. Take off the brake drum by removing the two countersunk screws.
Sometimes it may be necessary to back off on the brake adjuster so the
drum will "let go" of the shoes. I recall doing this by giving the
(stripped) stud several good whacks with a heavy, brass hammer. I
thought I was going to have to warm up the area around the stud with a
propane torch, but it eventually showed signs of leaving the back plate.
These studs are splined, as you may know, and these bolts are shouldered
on the back so that tightening the wheel lug nuts won't pull them thru.
When installing a new stud, you can use a stack of washers, and/or a
length of pipe slipped over the threaded part of the stud. Using a wheel
lug nut, draw up on it so it pulls the new stud home.

Dick T.
'73