re:Trip carbs

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: re:Trip carbs
From: Btp44@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 22:43:02 EDT
Dick-I wasn't trying to avoid a good debate, its' just that I have been too
busy trying to build a clock.
After looking in my SU manual, I find that the size&number of carbs used are
determined not only by displacement, but also horsepower output. There is
some overlap, but a 2.5 liter eng. producing 160-250 hp can use 3x1.75"
carbs, whereas the same size engine that produces 100-150+ hp can use either
3x1.5" or 2x1.75", carbs.  You are right that the flow from each individual
carb would be less but the total would be the same.  As far as needle
selection, I sure that Mr. Good probably did extensive testing on the dyno
and concluded that the stock needle was close enough and it wasn't necessary
or economically feasible to develop one.  Speaking of needles, you aroused my
curiosity enough to scrounge through some old needles.  I found a B1AF that
had a noticeable worn area about .2"-.6" from the shoulder. The dia. in the
worn area was about .001"-.0015" out of round.  It was easily felt by rolling
the needle between 2 fingers. Were you able to find some old needles& measure
them?  Got to get back to work on the clock.  Berry