Re: starter problem

To: RedTriumphTr6@aol.com
Subject: Re: starter problem
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 22:55:12 -0700 (PDT)
Bob---I won't comment on whether the starter is "going out" or not. I
don't know.
Rather, I'll send a couple of suggestions towards "the rattle" you hear,
and the abrupt movement of the fan as the engine starts.
First, grab the fan by hand, with the engine off. See if you can get it
to wobble, fore and aft.
Obviously it shouldn't. If it does, it may have loose connection bolts,
(not likely,) or the large bolt that goes thru the fan and the damper
pulley into the crank is coming loose. If it's this large bolt, it's
necessary to remove the radiator and fan to tighten it. (Put the
transmission in gear.)

Next, see if you can pry the damper pulley back and forth with two large
screwdrivers levered against the frame cross bar. It shouldn't move more
than a few thousandths. If you can get, like, an eighth inch of
movement, it's likely that the thrust washers have worn out, or dropped
into the pan. This could account for the flywheel ring gear to perhaps
jam against the starter gear, making starting "an option."

I don't think your "detailing" liquid interferes with the starter
connections. If in doubt, spray some of this on another electrical
contact, and see what happens.
Your car doesn't need any $300 converter, in my opinion. I'd just get
the basics right.

Dick T.
'73