Re: spline lock and caps

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: spline lock and caps
From: edwin.mcguirk@db.com
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 09:58:18 -0400

Thanks, I guess I'll have to pop the other cap off to try to duplicate it.

If I decide I need to replace it and if Rimmer doesn't have it.

Ed McGuirk
76 TR6
86 Rx7
88 MR2 Supercharged

Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 07:59:36 +1200
From: Bernard Robbins <brobbins@wlg.nec.co.nz>

Hi Ed,

Yep, this is fairly common on the Triumph Saloons which use almost the same
rear axle components. If the DPO has used too much grease on the splines,
the end caps can be forced off by the pressure.

>From my experience in the saloon cars, if you have got the rubber gaitor
covering the inboard UJ's you shouldn't have too much trouble with dirt etc
getting in. However, the better solution is to find one with a cap.

I don't know of any that are available, but Rimmer bros in the uk might be
worth a shot. Alternatively, you can probably get a local engineering firm
to make up the necessary cap.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Bernard Robbins