Re: Cam timing

To: pzs83j@ndc.gmeds.com (Chris Young)
Subject: Re: Cam timing
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 20:22:11 -0700 (PDT)
Chris---Let's for the moment go back to your first clue that something
was amiss--the #5 tube at the header was near glowing. Assuming this was
the Only one that was overheating, you could just about eliminate
settings that would effect All of the header pipes, such as cam timing.
I'd look at areas such as improper gasketing at the intake & exhaust
manifolds, perhaps nut to bolt tightening, then on to the setting of
both intake and exhaust valves at this station. Check the results in a
dark environment to see if that glowing is only seen here at #5.

If there's a cam or cam timing issue, there are many books, chapters of
books, and newsletters that deal with this. Since most are longer than
some of my replies, I'll just give you a few of the highlights:
A cam that's is advanced in timing (from "straight up") will give better
low end response.
The more a cam's timing is advanced, the more compression is allowed to
build.

Conversely, late cam timing will lower compression readings. It will
also bring the power band into later operating rpm's.

These excerpts were paraphrased from articles written in Hot Rod
Magazine, and Moss Motors tech section, as penned by an Eric Wilhelm, in
1995. (Yes, I saved it.)

So, Chris, while you could certainly have put the cam timing out of
spec, so far as where it should have been, all of the pieces don't quite
fit your concerns here.
Even if the carburetor that feeds this cylinder was too rich, or too
lean, #6 should also show up likewise. (As would the sparkplugs,
eventually.)
And so it goes, when we deviate from standard. It IS fun, tho...

Dick T.