Odometer/Speedometer

To: 6 Pack List <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Odometer/Speedometer
From: Kendall Larsen <klarsen@inreach.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 22:00:09 -0700
Hello Listers,
    I took a trip in my six up to Portland, CA last weekend. A nice drive
from Just south of Sacramento, CA. It was the first big drive my car has
ever been on since I brought it back to life. Anyway my speedometer used to
work perfectly and so did the trip meter and odometer. Then my speedo began
to bounce rather wildly between 70 and 90 and then the trip and odometers
quit working. And that was the end of my mileage calculations. According to
the speedometer I was doing between 90 and 120 the last time I was on the
freeway.....a little bit unrealistic...especially with no O/D.

    So, how do I go about fixing it? I tried dripping some oil on the back
where the cable goes in. Bad Idea? Should the cable from the tranny be
replaced? Anyone else had this happen and fixed it?

Kendall
74.5 TR6