Re: TR 6 radio\cassette

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR 6 radio\cassette
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 06:18:22 -0700 (PDT)
The stock TR6 dash opening is for shaft style radios.  These slide in
from behind the dash and have two shafts (for control of
volume/tuning/etc.) and a small rectangular center section (for display
and tape deck).  Shaft style radios are starting to disappear now, as
most people are trying to update to in dash CD players which use a
large rectangular DIN opening and slide in from the front of the dash.
But you can still find a few shaft radios around, and some even have
built in CD changer controls so you can mount a CD changer somewhere
and listen to CDs while keeping the dash intact, as it came from the
factory.  I believe Kenwood makes a couple nice shaft models.

I chose to upgrade to an in dash DIN style CD player radio in my TR6
about 4 years ago.  I bought a Sony unit and used the mounting sleeve
as a template to mark the dash support.  I then cut out this outline
with a reciprocating saw (very easy, this dash support is made of
aluminum) and finished it off with a file.  The radio slid in fine and
I mounted it firmly.  Sound is great, and it never skips!

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6

http://mail.yahoo.com/