Re: TR6 Dash work

To: DeLoera56@aol.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Dash work
From: Bernard Robbins <brobbins@wlg.nec.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 09:26:09 +1200
Hi Steve,

I stripped my dash over Christmas and recoated. Mine too was very light
coloured wood, but with several coats (like 10 thin ones) it came up to the
correct colour. The lacquer on these cars is very thick (2-3mm. If you
apply many thin coats, each coat will bring out the grain a wee bit more.

The biggest problem I had was trying to get rid of the dirt stains where
the original lacquer had cracked allowing in all sorts of horrible stuff.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Bernard
'71 PI
'73 TR6

At 15:45 22/07/00 EDT, DeLoera56@aol.com wrote:
>Hi
>        Just pulled the dash out of my 6 to refinish it, a DPO had brushed
on
>a clear lacquer finish that was high gloss and very thick. I stripped the
>clear lacquer off and the wood finish is very good. The color of the surface
>is lighter then before and I am thinking that It needs stain to bring it
back
>to the original color. I am told that the correct factory color for these
>cars is French Walnut, but I can't seem to locate this stain to refinish the
>dash.  Does anyone know where to find this color, how to blend it or what to
>use that is a close match?
>
>Steve Moore
>CC61138

Regards