Re:Stuck Head/ Compression

To: 6 Pack List <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:Stuck Head/ Compression
From: Kendall Larsen <klarsen@inreach.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 00:44:49 -0700
Dick, Berry, Dale, Bernard, Tim, and Hershel,
    Thanks for the advice, thankfully all it took to get the head off was
removing the studs. A little wiggle after that and it came off quite easily.
Thankfully your more creative and forceful methods weren't necessary : )

    Oh and by the way Dick, I've got the head off because I was changing the
exhaust flange gasket and couldn't get the pipes off the manifold. So I
decided I need a new exhaust system anyway as mine is rusted in parts. This
decision led me to just cut the exhaust system out and remove the intake and
exhuast manifolds to remove the exhaust pipes. Now with my manifolds off. I
think to my self. Hey now is as good as time as any to check the number 3
intake valve because I suspect it may be sticking. So then as I'm taking my
head off the next thought is hmmmm... maybe as long as the head is off I
should mill it down and raise my compression. It is at the pathetic stock
ratio of 7.5-1. ('74) So, that twisted train of thought is why I was taking
my head off after 6000 miles. (Besides my car was going off the road for EFI
conversion anyway) Are you sorry you asked now?!

    As I understand it, there are no negative side effects to boosting the
compression as long it is kept in the reasonable range of 8.5-9 to 1 ratio.
Am I correct in this assumption?

Kendall
74 1/2