Re: windscreen capping strip removal

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: windscreen capping strip removal
From: "Ken Davis" <kenjdavis@home.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 16:45:36 -0700
Bob,
    I'm set to do that myself, and it's an easy sat morning job.
Do you have an electric drill and a 1/4 in bit?  Good, it just
got easier.

With the drill bit in, just use the drill on a slow speed to
drill out/down the rivet lip. DON'T drill al the way thru; just
enough to remove the lip.  Gently pry the capping up.  When it's
off, use a nail/punch to pop the rivets thru and out.  dont worry
our them falling in, it's the only way to get them gone.  Make
sure you use a new seal underneath or you'll have water leakage.
Don't have a seal?  Use caulking compoound.  A little thought and
look-see will show you where it should be placed.  Make sure your
riveyts are the right size, I think from memory they're 1/8
rivets.  Put on in the middle, one at each end, then the rest.
Now comes the hard part.  This repair will require about a 3-hour
drive on windy, sunny country roads to reall work.  Must do this
step, real important! :)

Ken
So San Francisco
73 '6...