TR6 diff mount bracket crack. Repair suggestions?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 diff mount bracket crack. Repair suggestions?
From: "Theodore R. Stevens" <stevens@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 14:38:49 -0400
Yesterday I went to replace my leaking differential with one that's had its
seals replaced.  I suspected I'd need new diff mounts, since I'd heard the
dreaded "clunk".  Here's what I found:
The mounts were all in great shape.  There was, however, a crack completely
through the braket through which the right-hand, front mounting stud goes.
I know TRF sells prefabbed plates to reinforce the brackets.  However, when
I called them, they said the plates were not intended to repair the
bracket, and boxed in the bracket from the sides.  Further, they said that
I should *not* weld a repair plate over the crack, because it would
adversely affect the geometry.  What do you all think?  If I put a repair
plate on the left-hand side as well, I'd think that would even out the
geometry.

Would it be sufficient to MIG weld the crack from the underside, and grind
it down smooth? The upper end of the diff mounting stud appears to still be
firmly attached to the frame.
---
Ted Stevens     stevens@erols.com
74 TR6          Gaithersburg, MD