Wedgloc bolts on the transmission selector shafts

To: "6pack list" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wedgloc bolts on the transmission selector shafts
From: Peter Macholdt <pmachold@pluto.njcc.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 12:37:25 -0400
I just wanted to say thanks to all who made suggestions on removing the
wedgloc bolts holding the selector forks to their shafts.  I disassembled
the unit, replaced the o-rings and reassembled, with very little fuss.

Barry's suggestion to use an 8 point 5/16" socket was a great help.  The
bolts came out much more easily that when I tried an adjustable.  I
didn't even break one!

This whole exercise has lead to another question.  The recess for the
o-rings was about 50% deeper than the o-rings.  I'm sure that the old
o-rings were moving with the selector shaft within the recess.  That may
have been the reason for my leak.  I used 2 o-rings in each recess and, I
think, that has eliminated the leak.  Anybody else have experience here?
Are all the trans tops designed this way and, if so, why?

The other question involves the vent on top of the OD.  This also seems
to be leaking a bit of oil (not much, but what does leak will drip onto
the exhaust and smell).  The parts diagrams don't show the vent.  Is it
necessary, can I plug it?  If no, should it have anything on the inside
to trap oil?  Mine is just a tube with a small hole.

TIA,
Peter

Peter Macholdt
609-466-2127 Phone