Convertible top installation

To: "6 pack list" <6pack@autox.team.net>, <eja@hydrosphere.com>
Subject: Convertible top installation
From: "Rex R. Townsend" <rrt@connectexpress.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 21:23:28 -0700
Ed,
I installed a new Robbins top on my 69 TR6 summer of '99.  The top came with
no instructions at all, just a terse note saying, "Professional Installation
Recommended"!  Like you a read the section in the VTR site and didn't learn
very much from it.  However, as I disassembled the old top and frame and
laid out the new webbing and top it did all begin to make sense!  My
original top had badly shrunk, and the webbing was damaged, so I couldn't
use my old top as a pattern.  However, several long looks at other TR6 tops
helped me position everything correctly.  The TR6 top is one of the easier
tops to install and I believe that with good notes or sketches from a good
top installation and the VTR comments, you can do a first rate job.  I have
a couple of comments to share with you:
        1) Spend considerable time making sure that your top frame is in
good shape.  If it is bent, straighten it, and paint it if it needs it.
Also, make sure that all the bolts are tight and that if the hinge bolts are
worn, replace them.  This will pay off in a tight, rattle free top that
looks as good on the inside as the out.
    2)  I recommend that you replace the webbing and the vinyl/Velcro strips
on the top frame.
    3)  I had to grind a tip of a pop rivet tool to fit inside the
weather-strip channel on the header of the top frame.  When you pull off the
weather-stripping that seals the top to the top of the windshield, you will
see that the weather-strip channel is pop riveted on.  This channel has to
be removed by drilling off the tops of the old rivets and re-riveted back on
once your new top is glued on the header.
    4)  For a good installation, I think that a warm sunny day is important!
So, I waited until August to install my top here in the cool Pacific NW.  I
let my top sit out in the sun for several hours before I began the
installation, and the top was much easier to stretch and work with.  Even
though I stretched my top very tightly when I installed it, a long
summertime trip shortly after I installed it loosened it up considerably,
and now it goes up and down easily.  The tightness of your top will be a
compromise - too tight will make it very difficult to put up in cool weather
and too loose will make it sag in warm weather and "balloon" when driving
fast with the top up.  As I have had several vinyl convertible tops shrink
over time, I would rather have a new top that is a tiny bit too loose once
it is installed and stretched out than one that is too tight.

Rex Townsend