Halogen headlamp upgrade

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Halogen headlamp upgrade
From: dstauffa@csc.com
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 10:21:34 -0800
Hi listers,

I am going to upgrade to Halogen headlamps on my TR6.  Along with this I
will install relays and new 14 gauge wiring to support the current load.  A
new GM alternator is being added and I'm putting a shunt on my ammeter so I
can use it.

In my search for a supplier of Halogen lamps, I ran across something
offered by Rimmer Bros that has me confused.  They offer a Halogen lamp
with a "pilot".  What in the world is a "pilot" - in this context.  We can
dispense with the airplane jokes!  I've e-mailed Rimmer Bros a couple of
times to help enlighten me but didn't get much clarification (No offense
intended towards Rimmers as they are very good about most things).

Can any of you, especially the European listers, explain to me the role or
purpose of such a "pilot".

Thank you very much.

Dave Stauffacher
Ramona, Ca