Clutch Woes

To: 6 Pack List <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch Woes
From: "Kevin O'Connor" <oconnor@fuse.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 15:28:23 -0500
Dear Listers:

Last summer my TR6's clutch stopped functioning.  When it broke, it felt and
sounded like a mechanical snap.  I've just now gotten the tranny out to
inspect the dammage.

The clutch fork pin is indeed broken.  It is broken just above the threaded
section, so part of the pin is still in the fork-shaft assembly.  Question:
How best to get this out?  The fork does not want to move off the shaft, but
it will pivot with force.

Next question is about the clutch itself. The friction material is not worn
to the rivets yet.  How thick should the friction material be (total) before
it is worn out?  The pressure plate seems to be in good shape, but are there
any definite signs that one should replace it too?

The T/O bearing looks good too, but I'll probably replace it.  Along with
the pilot bearing too.  Any advice it greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Kevin D. O'Connor
'71 TR6 Jasmine/New Tan