Crossmember Damage

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Crossmember Damage
From: "Dan H. Detweiler" <dandet@alltel.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 07:10:25 -0500
Hi folks,

I finally have the body off the frame of my '70 TR6. After an initial
inspection, I noticed a sizable crack in the crossmember that the differential
and rear springs mount to. It is on the passenger side. About two inches long.
My question is should I replace it or try to repair it? These pieces are
extremely expensive, but I want it to be sound for a long time to come. How
difficult are these pieces to replace? What is the procedure? Where should I
look for more damage to the frame? I need to give it a good bath before I do
anything. The main frame members appear to be pretty solid.

On a brighter note, I got back from Florida with my replacement shell I got
from Kevin Lee. Dale Morgan was kind enough to let me know of his posting on
the VTR classifieds. The shell turns out to be better than the pictures he
sent. It's a '75 shell but I think the modifications needed will be minimal. I
paid $300 for it. It keeps me from paying $2000 in new parts, let alone the
labor to have them welded in. Kevin is a really nice guy and he is going to
have some nice pieces for sale. (He is parting out the '75.) If you are in
need of anything, I would highly recomend you give him a call. (352)-331-8925
or e-mail him at Krunch88@hotmail.com

Thanks for any info you might have.

Dan Detweiler
'70 TR6  CC51639