Re: 76 TR6 Electrical?

To: rgreene@whoi.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net, 6pack-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 76 TR6 Electrical?
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 12:09:03 EDT
In a message dated 6/6/2001 10:08:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
rgreene@whoi.edu writes:

>     Yes I'm guilty! I have yet to buy Dan Masters Book. I will soon be!
> Last night while driving home from a local car show, I went to put on my
> headlight and NOOOOO Lights! (Dash, parking & Headlights) My turn
> signals and dip switch still work fine? I pulled over and replaced the
> bottom fuse even though it appeared to be all right, still NOOOO Lights!
>     When I got home. I have a 12v test light. (No meter). I have no power
> on either side of the bottom fuse circuit? Every thing else seems to be
> OK? I pulled the Headlight switch out from the dash. Put the test light
> on each of the contacts and still no power here.
>     Any suggestions? Yes I am electrically stupid!

Bob,

I'll be looking forward to your order!

Tim Holbrook had given you a good input to your problem already, but I'll add
a little clarification for you. Power to your headlight switch comes from a
brown wire, which is connected to the "terminal box" (for lack of a better
name) attached directly to your battery cable. There are three other brown
wires on this terminal box as well. If you don't have power on the brown wire
at the headlight switch, check the connections on the battery cable. ALL of
the power to your car comes throught this terminal box, so make sure you have
good connections here. The fire in Kerry Forres car started here, I believe.

When you say the "dip" switch still works, I assume you meant the
"flash-to-pass" feature?  Power to the dimmer switch for this function comes
from the fuse box, via a purple wire. This allow you to "flash-to-pass" in
the daylight, even if your headlights are not on. Why that was consider
important to Triumph, I don't know. If your lights ever go out on you while
you are driving, try the "flash-to-pass" switch. Depending on where the
failure is, you may be able to get the lights to work enough to allow you to
pull off to the side of the road safely.

Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee

Triumph TR 250 - TR6 Electrical Maintenance Handbook:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas6/
Stuffing a V8 into a small British sports car:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas/
British V8 Newsletter:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas4/mgv8.htm