Static timing

To: 6Pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Static timing
From: "Walter Fogle" <lbc4me@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 22:47:51 -0000
Hello List:

After having adjusted the valves I'm going to set the timing on my '69 TR6
with stock carbs, etc.  I also installed new points, plugs, rotor,
condensor, filters, etc.  The car has been running rough and rich since
(about two weeks after) I rebuilt the carbs this Spring.  Those first two
weeks after the rebuild were great as the car ran well, had lots of power,
improved gas mileage, and nicely tan-colored spark plugs.  I believe that,
somehow, the timing is amiss.

I have a strobe timing light and a static light as well.  I checked the
static setting and found that the light comes on at 12 degrees ATDC.  The
Bentley manual says it should come on at 24 BTDC.  I have read a couple
different suggestions in the archives (12 BTDC) for a static reading.
Should I use 24 BTDC or 12 BTDC as my starting point?

Advance and retard on the distributor appear to be working well.

Any help is appreciated, as usual.

Thanks and best regards,
Walt Fogle
'69 TR6, CC30689L