RE: Overheating - HELP!

To: "'Timothy Holbrook'" <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Overheating - HELP!
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 18:12:53 -0400
I believe I have had every overheating problem in the universe on TR6s. If
you think your rad is not completely shot then it sounds like the dreaded
head gasket leak to me. You get steam in the water pump and it stops moving
the coolant. Then as the steam expands the coolant is pushed out of the
system.

Does it overheat faster with the cap on? That is a good indicator. With the
cap off the movement of the coolant can carry bubbles out of the system when
passing on the top of the radiator.

To be sure, remove the thermostat and run car. If with new pump, no
thermostat and rad uniformly warm and it still overheats then you are
beginning to run out of alternatives.

I put in a new rad core, thermostat and pump. Now I run at just below 3/8
when standing still in traffic. Slightly less on highway speed for long
runs. Too low really, I want to test my sender.

I really hope it is your thermostat or rad; I hate doing head gaskets.

Cheers,

Mark Hooper