Re: 74 tr6 problems

To: "Jeff Slaton" <slatonj@vci.net>
Subject: Re: 74 tr6 problems
From: rcotting@mgnet.ca
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 08:44:00 -0300
Jeff - I have never had any serious, inexplicable problems with my '74 1/2
but that is not to say that I haven't been sidelined by something odd.  One
time, after replacing a coil twice on the side of the road and later
getting a tow, the problem was traced to a new (but obviously faulty) $2.00
condenser (you don't qualify because of your new ignition).  After a very
thorough professional engine rebuild this winter, the joy of the first
start-up was dampened by symptoms akin to bad fuel or lack of fuel.  In
five minutes we traced that to the ONLY electrical connection which I had
not replaced - the connector on the wire to the coil was hanging by a
thread.  Water in the fuel has also given me problems which were simple to
rectify but took some time to troubleshoot.

Most people are of the mistaken belief that the TR moniker is an
abbreviation for Triumph.  Wrong.  It stands for Troubleshooting Required
(until supper at 6).

Rich C.
Halifax, NS