Coolant Passages

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Coolant Passages
From: Gameparker@cs.com
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 18:29:54 EST
List,
firstly, Season's Greetings and thanks to you all - you've all helped me a
tremendous amount in the past few months.  Getting to the point:  I am
reinstalling the head on my engine, just making sure that everything is
clean, etc, when I noticed that some of the coolant passages in the head
actually "dead-end" into the head gasket.  In other words, there are passages
in the head that do not exist at those locations in the engine block, and get
sealed off by the gasket.  Could anyone comment if this is correct and maybe
why?  It would appear to me that cooling would be soooo much improved if
these were "through" passages.
Thanks and Regards
Geoff
1974 TR6 - installing a '72 head milled to "about" 9.5:1