Re: Carb Bypass Valve

To: dcooper@paciolan.com (Dwayne Cooper)
Subject: Re: Carb Bypass Valve
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 16:29:40 -0800 (PST)
Dwayne---For the most part, plugging any vacuum tube coming from these
carbs won't affect its running. (There are usually tuning specs for
this) It really depends on how much of the originality and design you
want to keep. The carbon canister needs a carburetor vacuum source to
operate, as does the anti-run-on valve. Some find their engine to really
run-on badly without this valve, after turning off the ignition key.
This could be a deciding factor.
Also, all lines going to and from vacuum sources need to be dealt with.
While some can simply be capped off, others need to vent somewhere. The
line from the fuel tank and hose from the valve cover should vent to
some place reasonable. The air filter box, for instance.
If you are going to repair this car yourself, get hold of some of the
good manuals that deal with the carbs, and other relatively easy areas
for the home mechanic. TRF Blue Book has good illustrations on the
emissions equipment.

Finally, the last time I read about this,  California still requires
that the '74 must still comply with the bi-ennial smog check. I don't
think a 1973 sale date defers this requirement. 2003 is supposed to be
when the '74 becomes exempt. If the engine 'runs clean' and passes the
tail pipe sniff test (gas analyser) chances are better that any missing
vacuum hose will be noticed.

Dick Taylor
'73
L.A.