RE: Leaking shifter rod seals

To: Cliff Davies <cdavies@holzher.com>
Subject: RE: Leaking shifter rod seals
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 12:05:27 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Cliff Davies wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who responded to my seal question. Bob, how does one
> locate this vent?

The Triumph big TR tranny vent is a little hole in the tail housing... I
don't have access to a tranny right now, but the bottom line is that it's
a smallish hole drilled into the tailhousing on the flat underneath the
shifter mechanism. Obviously, the hole is above the "fill line" of the
tranny. I'm pretty sure there is only one hole, but there might be one on
each side... and this is in a non-OD tranny.

There may be a vent hole in the shifter housing too. I just can't recall
right now...

> I didn't find anything in the usual manuals.The gamble now
> is I'm in the middle of a resto and the tranny cover plate is accessible
> whereas if I clean a vent, and not change the seals?? you get the picture
> Murphys' Law.

I hear ya. The manuals don't show the hole. It's not like the differential
where there's a cotter-pin thingie. It's just a little hole to allow
positive case pressure to vent.

> Thanks
> Cliff
> 73 TR6

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |