Re: brake bleeding

To: "Walt Philipson" <wphilipson@bigfoot.com>
Subject: Re: brake bleeding
From: Rob Pennington <robp@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 21:59:31 -0600
Hi

If it had been awhile since the brakes were bled, there might be a buildup
of rust/crud/other stuff in the bleeder nipple and behind the threaded hole
it fits into in the cylinder.  If you disconnect the line from the brake
cylinder, you should be able to get a pretty steady drip from it and a
squirt or at least a burble of bubbly sounds when the pedal is
carefully/slowly stepped on.

If you do get fluid through the line, reconnect it and try removing the
nipple completely and make sure the hole is completely clear and, if fluid
doesn't start to drip out, carefully step on the pedal to force some
through the lines.  You may also want to run a needle or something similar
down the bleed hole in the nipple to be sure that it is also clear.

Rob
74 TR6