Re: racing schools

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: racing schools
From: William Whitmoyer <wwhitmoyer@samsonite.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 11:20:48 -0500
Bob's right on the money about deciding what you want to eventually do with
your driver's training.  As an instructor for the PCA and BMW clubs here in
Ohio, I really have to plug the club high-speed driver's ed as the most
affordable way of learning high performance driving techniques.  You are
classed according to ability and bring your own street car.  There are firm
rules about passing only when signalled etc, so your car is not in danger
of being knocked off the track because you didn't see another car.  These
events have high safety awareness and you receive a lot of personal
instruction.  The instructors are all volunteers, but for $150-$300 weekend
entry fee, you'll learn plenty and get a good amount of track time.  These
schools very much focus on braking, shifting and driving the right line,
not racing skills.

All you need is a helmet (a recently-made auto racing-approved
helmet).  The only issue with taking a TR6 is that most clubs require an
installed roll-bar in a convertible.  If you want to drive with the top
down, you'll need arm restraints too.  If you want to avoid the whole
issue, fit a hardtop.  Each club has its own rules. In addition to PCA and
BMW club events, Alfa and Audi clubs also run track days here in my area.
Bob also mentioned a few more clubs below.

Rather than start with a pro race school (unless you want to run SCCA this
season), start with a few club schools.  If you are a novice at track
driving, this is a good way to learn what to do quickly in a safe
environment.  If you want to race, starting at the club level for a year or
two really sharpens your driving skills first, then you can learn more
about racing and race craft at pro or SCCA schools.  Learning to drive and
race at the same time is certainly possible, but I think it takes longer to
learn both crafts well and is certainly more expensive (pro school fees or
race car rental).

If you start at the club level and then go to a Pro school, you will really
getting your money's worth out of the pro instructor because you'll be able
interact at a higher level (which is really what separates the fast racers
from the slow ones..getting that extra tenth of speed in the corner
etc).  If you do the pro school first, you'll be learning just the basics
in that first school, and club or pro instructors are both pretty capable
of teaching the basics.  Learning those basics is certainly more affordable
at the club level.

I'm basing my opinion on how I got into track events.  I started doing club
driver's ed in 1996 and did my first pro school at the Mid-Ohio School in
2000...I really learned a lot from the pro instructors because I had the
basics down already.  I was planning on heading to SCCA IT, but 2 kids and
the need to buy a race car/trailer/tow vehicle got in the way.  For $3,000
bucks, you can buy new tires every year, do 6-8 weekend events and pay for
a few hotels/meals.

Oh, and it's a real blast too, at whatever level you choose to participate.