Re: 500 mile maintenance

To: "Hugh Fader" <hfader@usa.net>
Subject: Re: 500 mile maintenance
From: "James Franks" <jimmble@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 08:03:56 -0400
Hugh,

I still re-torque (maybe just a hold over from earlier times, but I find
it comforting to know that the head is evenly seated after several
heating/ cooling cycles.)

Are you running steel or wire wheels? I've had bad splines in the
adapters , or a loose wheel cause a clunk. If you have steel wheels,
check your wheel bearing runout. Sometimes the seal or bearings will
'seat' a little after a major overhaul, and the wheel will be too loose.
Also check that your caliper mounting bolts are tight. In addition, some
pads seem to have a bit of 'slop' on the pins, allowing them to settle
back as you come to a stop, that isn't a problem if it's the case, just
a bit annoying.

As far as the timing goes, I'd set at factory specs, balance the carbs,
then advance a few degrees, lower the idle (since it will increase)
check with a quick run under load for pinking, then if satisfactory lock
it in and go over the carbs again to see that you are still balanced. Be
sure to run 93 octane if you advance your timing! Watch your temp gage
for overheating probs. Some cars respond better than others to tweaking.

Jim