Seat re-foaming

Subject: Seat re-foaming
From: "Mark Creamer" <mcreamer@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 22:52:43 -0400
Hi all,
thought I'd share a couple lighter moments from my current project -
re-foaming my seats using the original covers. It's been a good project so
far; the passenger seat is done, and I think it looks pretty good. I'm on
the driver's seat now.

Both seats are original, and the old foam is a disgusting brown sticky
powder. The seat covers are in good shape, however, and even the small bits
of foam built in to the covers is usable. The rest, though...well, let's
hope I don't come down with something.

Anyway, tonight I went about the business of tearing down the driver seat.
My car being a 76 has the seat belt sensor embedded in it. It has always
been disconnected at least as long as I have had the car, as well as the PO
before me (he told me that). Tonight I'm glad it has been. Surrounding the
cutout in the foam where the sensor sits is charred foam residue! The darn
thing had a meltdown somewhere along the way, and it looks like the owner at
the time ripped the wire out by the roots ;-)

All is not lost, however. The total loot found *inside* the two seats
includes 77 cents, a comb (does anyone still use those??) and an
(unfortunately) unreadable Shell gas receipt from 1979, the year I graduated
high school.

By the way...thanks to Greg Donegan for the tips on adhesives (Weldwood
liquid contact cement and 3M spray adhesive), and to Nelson Riedel for his
excellent tutorial on the Buckeye's site. Visit if you haven't already:
www.buckeyetriumphs.org  These are the folks hosting TRials this year.

I love this car :-) Happy driving!

Mark Creamer
6-PACK Membership Secretary