Re: I Still Fear The Worst

To: pjgraffam@juno.com (Paula J. Graffam)
Subject: Re: I Still Fear The Worst
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 15:52:50 -0700 (PDT)
Al---It is very common to change the rod and crank bearings, without
doing a crank grind. I don't know how bad your journals may be scored,
if they are. To give yourself a fighting chance in getting the new
bearings to bed in, take the time to polish each journal with crocus
cloth, rotating the crank as you go. If you're lucky, they should take
on a mirror-like shine, with no obvious pits or scoring.

Oil pumps can be measured for wear to see if replacement is necessary.
The data is in the Bentley manual. If you're interested in saving $100,
it may not be necessary to replace it. My original pump gave good
service for the first 200,000 miles, before it fell outside the
suggested tolerances.

Dick