Re: I also have clutch problems

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>, "Alan & Debbie Lindner" <theedge@cts.com>
Subject: Re: I also have clutch problems
From: "Nelson Riedel" <Nelson@buckeyetriumphs.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 19:36:20 -0400
Alan,

The symptoms you describe are what I call a sticky clutch and others have
called the binary clutch.   What I and quite a few others have found and how
we fixed the problem is documented in the technical section of the Buckeye
Triumphs website.  The link is too long to get on one line here, so go to
the following link and scroll  down to "Sticky Clutch".

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/index_technical.htm

Since writing that note I've learned two additional things.  First, there
are four places where the gearbox is attached to the rear engine plate using
3/8 inch bolts.   Two are on the starter.  The other two apparently serve an
indexing function.  I understand some folks have used 5/16 inch bolts in
those indexing holes since the 3/8 inch bolts are a very snug fit.
With 5/16 inch bolts in these holes, the gearbox may be misaligned with the
clutch and result in the grabbing you notice.  (I've never actually
seen this).   Second,  I plan to use a different release bearing-sleeve
combination in the future.  The sleeve is made from a bronze material and
the bearing is high quality and of the correct size for the  TR6 pressure
plates.  I haven't written this up for the website yet but the information
is available in one of the Buckeye Triumph newsletters available at the link
below.    Go to page 5 and the heading  Zauberei Ausr|cklagerset

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/newsletter/PDF_Files/Apr2002.pdf

Nelson Riedel
Granville, Ohio
'68TR250, '76TR6, '70TR6 (project)