Re: Megasquirt EFI

To: "Timothy Holbrook" <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Megasquirt EFI
From: "James Franks" <jimmble@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 22:27:10 -0400
> I know of two listers, James Franks and Ed McGuirk, who are using this
> system on their cars.

Not exactly true yet........ in my case I'll be using the stock Ford EFI
from the Turbocoupe I dismembered for my hotrod project. I don't recall
if Ed is intending to inject his TR or not.

I do, however, plan to fuel inject a stock TR6 with the Megasquirt for
my next project after the hotrod.

This is not a small undertaking. I have been studying this process for
more than a year now, and even though I have a fair amount of tools and
experience, it's gonna be a big job.

You have to modify, as Tim pointed out, an intake with bungs to accept
injectors, also adapt a properly sized throttle body with linkage, plumb
in and wire sensors, construct a custom fuel rail to supply fuel to the
injectors, modify the fuel tank, add relays, and install a high pressure
fuel pump. An O2 sensor must be fitted to the exhaust downpipe. In
addition, this setup does not at present include an ignition portion, so
I'm investigating what to use there. After all of that comes the tuning
phase, which can be a long, arduous process. I am putting together a WB
O2 sensor to aid in tuning without a dyno. It can be inserted in place
of the narrow band O2 sensor for tweaking the fuel-air mixture during
WOT, and during transient phases of operation.

There are probably some immediate benefits from using EFI. Idle,
starting, and fuel economy coming immediately to mind. I believe the
greatest gains would be achieved if the engine was modified with higher
C/R, better cam, and better breathing head. At least, with a stock
motor, injection cam, and EFI, I would expect what the factory got from
it's injection system, but with better economy, and fewer mechanical
bits.

I have a vision of eventually putting together a 'kit' of hard parts
that a person with a TR could use to convert their car to EFI. Then, a
person of average skill could bolt on the kit pieces, and add their fuel
controller of choice. (SDS, Megasquirt, Wolf, Electromotive, etc.)

I'd also like to touch base with anyone going down the Megasquirted TR6
path who would like to share info. Once we determine the VE tables for a
stock car, it should be fairly close for any other TR6 in similar
configuration. There's no sense in 2 or three guys learning the same
hard lessons when we can learn from each other. Just to repeat, though,
I am not presently doing a Megasquirt on a TR.

Anyone can feel free to contact me off list at jimmble@adelphia.net to
discuss this further.

Jim