Re: starter/electrical problems

To: 6pack@autox.team.net, keitheva@speakeasy.net
Subject: Re: starter/electrical problems
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 23:20:09 EDT
In a message dated 6/29/2002 9:01:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "Keith Evans" <
keitheva@speakeasy.net> writes:

> i have a 71 TR6 with an intermittent problem. sometimes when i go to start
> it i turn the key and all i get is a "click", and no starter spinning.
> other
> times it's just fine. so far i have put in a new battery, a new starter
> motor (including solenoid), and a new +ve battery wire to the solenoid. but
> the problem is still there intermittently, "click". when this happens the
> ammeter swings to full -D. all the other electricals work fine. i have also
> checked the other wires to the solenoid to the point they disappear through
> the firewall into the passenger cabin.

Keith,

It sounds like you have an intermittent short to ground in the white/red wire
from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid, or perhaps a short in the
switch itself. The fact that you are getting a full "D" reading on the
ammeter when this happens is the clue. The only way the ammeter can read an
excessive discharge with the headlights off would be for the excessive
current to run through the ignition switch. Since you only get the "D"
reading when you are trying to start, that leads me to believe it's the w/r
wire. The short in the wiring drops the voltage to the solenoid enough that
the solenoid won't fully engage - thus the click.

As temporary fix/test, disconnect the white red wire from both the ignition
switch and the solenoid and replace it with a temporary jumper. If this cures
the problem, then you need to make a permanent replacement for the w/r wire.
If not, hold the key in the start position for a moment and feel to see if
the switch gets hot. If it does, the short is in the switch itself.

I may be missing something, but I believe this is your problem.

To get a better understanding of my statement about the ammeter reading being
a clue, see: http://members.aol.com/danmas2/ammeters.htm

Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee

Triumph TR 250 - TR6 Electrical Maintenance Handbook:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas6/
Stuffing a V8 into a small British sports car:
     http://www.BritishV8.org/swaps
British V8 Newsletter:
     http://www.BritishV8.org