Re: apple hydraulics, feedback?

To: 6pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: apple hydraulics, feedback?
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 09:43:42 -0400
Well, now that you mention it...

Back around 1996 or so I bought a rebuilt brake master cylinder from Apple
Hydraulics.  I put it on my TR250 which had not yet been painted (this is
important).  Once I had everything tightened up, I began to pour DOT 4 into
the reservoir.  Before I knew what was happening, the brake fluid began
running out of a hole in the front of the assembly.  I cleaned it up pretty
quickly, but not before it ate some paint.

To make a long story short, it turns out that Apple drills the front of some
bores to punch out stubborn pistons.  The holes are then sealed.  On mine,
the hole was not filled and the fluid poured out onto my paint.

Apple replaced the MC and gave me my money back.  I used the money I "saved"
to fix the paint.  They were good about doing the right thing, but I would
be careful to check anything that they rebuild.

Just my 2 cents.

Peter
'68 TR250