rear end clunk

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: rear end clunk
From: Ryan Miles <rjhmile@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 19:13:53 -0700 (PDT)
 List,

   For anyone that likes to hear follow up to posted questions, I figured out
my strange rear end clunk. I finally found a better way to describe teh problem
though; It was noise like you would hear if you had your back cracked, because
It would pop more than once.

  I put the car on a lift and couldn't find ANYTHING loose or suspect, so I
grabbed the axles, and I was able to get a pretty good click out of the
differential. It just so happened that I had thrown the spare diff in the
trunk, so several hours later I had the car out on the road with a new
differential and No clunk. After I popped the back cover off the old diff, I
could see (at least part of) the problem; The spider gears were worn on the
gear surfaces, worn on the shaft surfaces, and worn where the axle goes into
them. As I moved the diff I could see that most of the center section was
completely worn out.

   I don't know the old diff's history, but I bet some was pretty hard on it
(as well as me), because it made the noise when I first put the car together,
and got worse as I autocrossed it more.

Ryan