Bad hub bearings and rotor to caliper drag..

To: "Web_disscusion List" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bad hub bearings and rotor to caliper drag..
From: "Richard Seaton" <rsh17@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 18:29:17 -0500
Thought the 6-pack might find this interesting.

  While rebuilding my front suspension, I replaced the front bearing seal,
repacked the old bearings and reinstalled the hub. When I replaced the
caliper, I noticed that the outside edged of the rotor rubbed the inside of
the caliper. This seemed weird to say the least. I rechecked installation of
various parts and everything looked OK. Also figured that maybe I didn't
remove all the powder coat in the appropriate areas. Then rechecked bearing
preload and it was fine. Removed the bearings and noticed a very little
grittiness to them. I didn't think this would be the cure, but when replaced
with new ones the spacing from the rotor sides to the caliper was about equal.
Hence no more rubbing.
  What I figure was going on here was that the bearings had so much slop in
them, that the new seal push the rotor to the outside and caused the rubbing.

 Figured I'd post this just in case some has or will experience that same
proble.

Richard Seaton
'69 In the works, looking better every day!
RSH17@msn.com
View My restoration @ (http://groups.msn.com/Richards69TR6Restoration)