RE: Rear Suspension Blues?

To: "'Richard Seaton'" <rsh17@msn.com>,
Subject: RE: Rear Suspension Blues?
From: "Vink, Graham" <vinkg@fleishman.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 09:16:05 -0500
it's not entirely clear from your message (at least to me) if the perceived
problem is incorrect toe-in, or incorrect camber (or both)

toe-in is whether the wheels, when viewed from above, point very slightly
toward the center of the car (like being pigeon-toed). On most cars (not
sure about TRs), there's supposed to be very slight toe-in, but the effect
is so slight that it's hard to see without measuring the difference in
distance between the front edges of the tires and the rear edges of the
tires.

So I think you're probably talking about camber, which refers to the angle
of the wheels when viewed from the rear: do the tops of the wheels lean out
-- away from the car -- or lean in?

on older TRS with sagging springs, the tops of the wheels lean in, producing
the famous "squat."

on fresh new springs with no weight, it would be normal for the wheels to
lean out until the car is loaded.

frankly, I'm not sure you've got a problem, assuming that all the chassis
repairs were made correctly, and that you measured along the way, which it
sounds like you did.

but before you put the body on, is there any way you can load the rear end
with a few hundred pounds to see if the situation improves?

Graham