RE: TR6 Shocks

To: "Vink, Graham" <vinkg@fleishman.com>
Subject: RE: TR6 Shocks
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 09:19:36 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Vink, Graham wrote:

> I believe Mustang II suspensions are adapted quite frequently to expensive
> American street rods, replacing obsolete suspensions from the '30s and '40s.
> Among other advantages, they have disk brakes ...

Street rods, kit cars - there are a lot of applications for Mustang II
front ends, a-arms, steering racks and uprights.

> However, before getting too carried away about their virtues, I believe a
> major appeal is that they are cheap, since there are (or were) many Mustang
> II's in junkyards. A "new" front suspension and brakes from one of those
> would probably cost about $50, tops.

Actually, the inexpensive cost comes from the fact that there a specialty
houses that provide just Mustang II front end parts. That would indicate
demand.

I'm not sure where you live, but in my area (New England) you'd be pretty
hard pressed to find a Mustang II parts car. After all, they were made a
long time ago (over 20 years).

But the original point is that the shocks appear to be similar in spec.

Note that the Mustang II shock mounts at a different angle than the TR6 -
I'm sure that counts for something in the design criteria of the shock.
But Carerra shocks are reported to be the hot ticket in high performance
applications.

Also note from one of the previous posts that the shock spec. listed only
about 3 inches of travel from full bump to full rebound. That's not very
much travel distance (but probably adequate).

> --Graham

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |