Differential removal and pin strengthening kits

To: "6pack (E-mail)" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Differential removal and pin strengthening kits
From: Andrew Packard <apackard@triad.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 00:14:12 -0400
After five hours tonight, I got within one L Rear Diff mount from getting my
differential dropped.  The metal sleeve inside the rear rubber mount was frozen
to the frame stud.  I removed the nuts and bolts holding the mount to the diff,
but I couldn't get enough play to move the unit around the still frozen mount.
I finally decided to cut away some of the lower rubber to expose the metal
sleeve and  go after it with my grinding tool and cutting wheel to cut the
sleeve lengthwise to free it.  I then realized it was 11:15 and it was probably
a little late to have my air compressor kick on and annoy the neighbors.  To be
continued tomorrow.  I just got this car on July 4, and I don't know the
history, but I'm willing to bet that this is first time the differential has
been separated from the car in 34 years.
By the way, the reason I was pulling the unit was to repair the front right
stud that had broken loose from the frame and made a horrible vibration noise
the second I got into fourth gear.  Our friend Roger Williams (of "How to
Restore" . . . fame) devotes a lot of time to differential pin strengthening
kits, but I'm not sure where to order them in the states.  Does anyone know of
a domestic source for this and has anyone had success with this kit?

Thanks for the help.
Andy
TR250
Greensboro, NC