Subject: TR6; Quick-ratio steering rack

To: 6pack <6pack-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Subject: TR6; Quick-ratio steering rack
From: Chuck Arnold <Chuck.Arnold@oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 17:17:01 -0700
Shane,
I installed the unit and I love it -- took the car to the track this
last week for its first session since I put in really stiff front
springs and added the 16 inch panasports shod with Kuhmo Victa 700
[205s] and the toyota brakes. At the drivers meeting the guy was going
over giving let by passing signals.  He alluded that the "triumph" would
be waving a lot of people [in all sorts of cars] by.  I am proud to
report that while I pushed Miatas, MR2s, an A4 around, nobody in the
group of 12 got close to getting me [including the Porsche SC].  The car
went through corners like on a rail -- totally a different and wild
feeling.  Unfortunately, the brakes were not up to the task all day
[small leak on a line I made, then pad fatigue -- not happy with this as
they were expensive -- will talk with the vendor tomorrow].

I did have a small problem with the steering in that the way it is
constructed, I had to mount it a little to the right of where I think it
should be, and had a little rubbing of the steering rod on the engine
mount.  Got that fixed by a little machining of the supplied solid
aluminum mounts.
Chuck

All,

What is the general experience with the quick-ratio (2.5 turns
lock-to-lock,
compared with stock 3.5 turns) steering rack that is available in the
UK?

Combined with a 13" steering wheel, does this make steering on roads
too direct?  After I re-bushed by steering rack and column, and swapped
out the rubber mounts for aluminum, the TR6 steering is among the very
best I have ever encountered in a car.  But ever in the search for
absolutes,
I am thinking about tightening-up the steering even more.

Thanks in advance,

Shane Ingate in Maryland

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
Chuck.Arnold.vcf]