RE: Ace Leyland Quality Control Report

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Ace Leyland Quality Control Report
From: "Bernard Robbins" <brobbins@wlg.nec.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 14:18:35 +1200
Hi Folks,

Now talking about rear hubs and things ....
We had a wee thread (see "wives tale" started by Dick T) going a while ago
about the rear exles breaking resulting in wheels parting company with the
car (I've had it happen twice to me!).

The good news is I think I have the solution to my problem of breaking axles
at last!! After talking to a local Morris Minor guy (who also restores
traction engines....), he told me he had similar problems in his Morry...

Morry's have a live axle with solid shafts and LH gave up to ghost. So he
duely replaced the broken axle with a spare one he just happened to have
lying around amonst his pile of old british gubbin's, cotters and other
cast-iron heavy-looking stuff.

About two months later (2000mi), the LH axle again broke. But my good friend
has a much better parts labelling system than I. He determined that the new
axle had for 30 years been installed in the RH side of the parts car. His
conclusion was that the stresses caused by rotating in one direction all
it's life had aligned the metal fatigue. When he reversed the stresses by
putting the axle on the other side, it failed prematurely. He then replaced
the LH axle with another LH axle and hasn't had a problem since (16000mi
later).

I think this caused my problem. I'm pretty confident that I now have a RH
hub in the RH side of my TR6 so fingers crossed, I won't have the problem
again. I guess only time will tell.

Speaking to my Quality Manager (who has a Stag) "it does highlight the
requirement for car enthusiests to have an accurate tracability process". Or
in my luddite terms, make sure you label any second hand parts accurately!

Hope this helps someone!

'73 TR6 PI (Decisions decisions... Miata or MR2 for breakfast??)

Regards

Bernard Robbins

Network Solutions
NEC New Zealand Ltd