CALLING ALL TRANSMISSION GURUS

To: "6-Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: CALLING ALL TRANSMISSION GURUS
From: "R. Ashford Little II" <ralittle2@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 00:48:14 -0400
Two questions: Clutch issue and lazy tachometer

I've been working and tinkering on my car for a while now, but with the
2002 SE VTR <http://www.sevtr2002.org/>  coming up next month I thought
it might be a good idea to have a real mechanic give my car the once
over.  In the process, I've come upon two issues I would like the lists
assistance with.

1.  My tachometer reads about 500 rpm low at cruising speeds.  What
exactly can be done to fix this?

2.  And this one is lengthier.  I've got two issues with my clutch.
First a little background.  The clutch and all related parts were
replaced within the past year.  I am experiencing a lack of total
disengagement with my clutch.  At the time the clutch was replaced, I
put in a new clutch (LUK) and friction plate, fork, taper pin, cross
shaft and bushings, master and slave cylinder, and the Rover T/O
bearing.  I am using DOT5 fluid.

Currently, the clutch motion is a bit jerky.  Not sure why.

Also, as I mentioned the clutch is not totally disengaging.  As a
temporary fix, a couple of washers have been inserted at the slave
cylinder and the connection has been moved to the top hole to increase
travel.  However, apparently the slave pushrod has sufficient movement.
In fact, it moves enough to where if it moved a little more it would
actually come out of the slave cylinder.

The mechanic thinks that the friction plate is responsible for the jerky
motion.  He is unsure of the reason for the other malady.  Now, I know
that everyone is familiar with the broken taper pin story, but if my
logic is correct, and IF I had another broken taper pin, it would seem
to me that the pushrod in the slave would not have good travel.  So I'm
stumped, and a bit tired of taking my transmission out (done that
twice).

TIA,

R. Ashford Little II
www.geocities.com/ralittle2