Re: Respons Speed #2

To: Shane Ingate <madmax_xx@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Respons Speed #2
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 17:11:46 -0400
Shane Ingate wrote:

> IMHO, I don9t think a stock or moderately modified TR6 will
> benefit from a front spoiler.  I note that the Group 44 racers did
> not have a front spoiler, yet I am sure their cars were able to
> reach some pretty impressive speeds.  However, competition
> TR6s started to wear front spoilers in the mid '70s.  Maybe the
> early Group 44 cars were not allowed to carry spoilers?

Well I don't know what Group 44 cars you're talking about Shane, but I have
two photos which are both of Group 44 TR6s, and both are wearing the same
front chin spoiler.  They are not factory spoilers, but narrower versions
just about the length of the distance between the insides of both wheels.
They project at a 45 degree angle right at the pavement and have a ground
clearance of about 2 inches.

I have a third more recent photo of the Group 44 TR6 and it is also wearing
a chin spoiler, but it doesn't match the two 1970s Group 44 photos.

Do front chin spoilers make a difference?  I can't make that determination
on a TR6, as I've never driven a TR6 without a spoiler.  However, fitting
the special tuning style spoiler to the front of an MGB really plants the
front end well!  The MGB special tuning spoiler is very similar in design to
the kind you find on modern BMWs, very perpendicular to the ground with a
small protruding lip towards at the bottom edge.  The MGB spoiler was
especially noticeable in situations when front grip was lacking, such as
everyday driving in the rain ... boy did it make the car feel more confident
in slippery bends.  (not that the MGB is a bad handler to begin with)

Kai