of tachs and speedos

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: of tachs and speedos
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 08:54:30 -0400
All this talk about the instruments makes me shake my head. Find a section
of interstate and drive at a steady speed over a couple measured miles. The
markers are close enough for the purpose. Time yourself over the distance
and do a bit of math. It's likely you'll find that both the tach and speedo
are way off.

In my car, an indicated 4000 RPM in 4th translates to about 66 MPH. The
speedo is all over the map, but the odo reads correctly, due to the nature
of the instrument. Keep up with traffic and pay attention and you're all
set. I suppose I could send both instruments out for service and
calibration, but it's the least of my worries.

Phil Barnes (peb3@cornell.edu)
'71 TR6  CC61193L (25 year owner)